Recipes

Banana Tres Leches Cake

August 18, 2013
Have you ever experienced the joy of a moist, rich, buttery cake 

soaked in not one, not two, but three varieties of milk?  A cake

which actually tastes best after being refrigerated overnight?






And it all begins with a white cake mix and bananas that weren't 

eaten in time...


You know the routine, buy a bunch of bananas and there they sit.

No one wants them on their cereal.  Oh there is always the banana

bread, the banana cake and the banana muffins.  But truly I wanted

to bake a real treat.  



So, on this day I was just in the mood to step it all up a notch.

First off, I had to begin with a mind set of forgetting about 

counting calories, embrace every single bite and basically throw

all caution to the wind.  





This Tres Leches Cake recipe has some qualities of the poke cake, 

which I adapted  from Betty Crocker.



Correction on this recipe, 2 packets of whipped topping mix combined with 1 1/2 cups whipping cream whipped until spreadable. I use Kroger Brand Whipped Topping mix, found in the baking section.  I believe the original is Dream Whip Dessert Topping.



It is such a pretty cake too-would be so lovely for any special

occasion.  I felt as though it was just perfect on the second day.  

Amazingly enough it never ever becomes soggy.  I know that sounds

impossible, but it is true.  




I was interested in finding out a little more about the origins of this 

delectable little treat.  Tres Leches Cake is eaten all throughout

Latin America and Nestle helped to make it popular during World 

War II.



The banana flavor is very subtle and the frosting is very light.  Please enjoy this cake with your favorite cup of coffee or tea!

Thank you for joining me.
XO

Labels: , ,



Related posts

Comments

  1. I can't wait to try this great lookin cake,, wow it looks and sounds delicious...yummy, and your photos are amazing...do you mean a can of whipped frosting mix, or a package, what brand...thanks...Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jemma, What a creative and lovely looking cake. Thanks for sharing it. Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make tres leche cake all the time, but I never thought about adding bananas! What a great idea! Glad I found you on Marvelous Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jemma,

    Beautiful looking banana tres leches cake! Looks luscious!Thanks for sharing!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  5. A gorgeous shot of this delicious looking cake....Bananas..well I will have to try that....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never tried it, but your wonderful description makes me want to go looking for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cake looks so divine! I am pinning it and hope that I can make it someday!
    I am your newest follower. Would you follow me back?
    thank you,
    Ellya
    @CuriositaEllya

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my word, that cake looks so yummy. I wish I had a piece right this minute. But, I will just drool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how good this looks. I love seeing it served on a pedestal stand. Thanks for the recipe. This sounds delicious. Thanks for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh - everything you do and everything you make looks so delicate and angelic. I pinned this and wish it was healthy for me! lol sandie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great cake, Jemma! Ha, I often buy a banana or two and end up never eating it. But most of the time they become way too ripe before I finally decide to do something with them. By then, they pay a visit to the garbage!

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend. It will be here soon. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous dessert this very South American cake is and I love the banana twist and coconut topping! I will try your recipe; thanks a lot. I also love your pretty setting with the lovely square cake stand. Have a nice weekend.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh Jemma, this is to die for! I love Tres Leche! Which is kindof weird, because I don't like anything soggy. Have never heard of a banana one, but I know I will love it. Buying bananas so they can get over ripe! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jemma! This sounds and looks amazing - gorgeous photos! I am delighted that you shared your lovely post with A Return to Loveliness,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment